Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Surfs up, Brah! - Writing a script for something you know NOTHING about...

While I would LOVE to only write on my own projects, I more often than not have to write on other peoples projects in order to get credits and/or make connections...

The project currently on my plate is the latter.... and it's not going to be an easy script.

I met the creator of this current project through Mondo. I was hired by Mondo to work on another of his scripts, and it went well (between him and me, anyway) and so he asked if I could help put together a pitch for this other show. Well now we're at the point when it's time to write a pilot, and I agreed to do it. There's a smaaaaall problem though...

The show centers around two surfers.

Oh and it may be translated into french.

But dealing with the first problem... I've never really surfed - other than in Tofino one time... and then it was mostly just me sitting on the board or drowning...




... and I don't know many surfers. I have a feeling though that I need to be adding slang, and that surfer like chit-chat you see in tween Disney shows that take place on a beach.

I'm not going to lie... day one of sitting down and writing, I started to panic.

"Yo brah, lets catch this bitchin wave brah"

I dunno.

So tonight I'm going to download "Surfs up"...


And watch "Chasing Mavericks"....


I HOPE these will give me better insight into surf culture, and let me write a script that doesn't sound as stupid as I'm worried it's sounding in my head right now.

Cowabunga, duuuude.


No comments:

Post a Comment